Best Bra for Over 50 (5 Choices for Strong Support)
Table of Contents
Once you reach the age of 50, you may notice that your breasts need a different type of support than they did before. There’s nothing to worry about, it simply means that you may need to adjust the style and fit of bra you’re wearing. Take your time and start searching for the best bra for over 50.
Choosing Bras for Elderly Breasts
Depending on your body, the search for the best bra for over 50 will have a different focus. You may find that you need to keep your breasts lifted to avoid the look and feel of sagging, or you may want to keep them pushed close together to maintain the silhouette you prefer.
No matter what your main focus is on the bra styles you want to choose, there are some practical parts of wearing a bra that may become more of a hassle with age. It’s those things that you want to tackle during your search.
Keep the following things in mind:
- Front Adjustable Straps: many bras come with adjustable straps, but there’s nothing more annoying than getting your bra on and realizing that you need to tighten your straps because it usually means taking it off and starting from scratch. Having the ability to adjust your straps from the front will save you time and energy.
- Front Close Bras: another one of the classic things that we deal with as women who wear bras, is having to close our bras in the back. There are many ways to put your bra on and close it but having a bra that closes in the front is definitely one of the easiest.
- Back Support: we don’t have to go over all the things that start to change with age but making sure that your back is well-protected is very important. Search for bras that provide extra back support for optimal comfort throughout your day.
- Soft Cups and Wire-Free: unless you’re looking specifically for a push-up look, your breasts will appreciate the break from the hard structure of an underwire. Choose bras with soft cups and no wire.
Know Your Breast Shape
If you’re wondering what is the best bra for a 56-year-old woman or the best bra for a 65-year-old woman, the answer lies in the small details. Something vital to think about when searching for the right bra as you age is the shape of your breasts. They play a large role in the types of bras that will work for you.
Here are some of the most common breast shapes:
- Round: most bra styles fit, but balconette accentuates them best.
- Slender: plunging bras provide soft cleavage and push-up.
- East-West: smooth T-shirt bras minimize the look of distance between breasts.
- Asymmetric: choose bras with padded inserts or buy some yourself.
- Bell Shape: full coverage with help take the weight off your back.
- Side Set: bras which have fabric a bit higher will help balance your look.
- Tear Drop: plunging bras highlight the natural shape.
Top 5 Bras for Over 50
It’s time to take a look at some of the best bra options for you when you’re over 50:
1. Playtex Women’s 18-Hour Ultimate Lift And Support Wire-Free Bra
The Playtex Women’s Bra is ideal if you’re looking for full-coverage for your full-figured breasts. The bra is made to be extremely comfortable, while still providing reliable functionality during even the longest of days. The bra closes in the back with a three hook and eye closure and has side panels which work to provide extra lift and support.
This Playtex is made from 100% nylon, so you won’t have a problem with excessive sweating leaving irritation or odor. Make sure that you hand wash your bra to keep it in prime condition. You’ll find the cushioned straps to give you the feeling of sturdy support without cutting into your skin.
2. Bali Women’s Comfort Revolution Wirefree Bra
If you’re looking for a bra that provides the most comfortable experience possible, while still being appropriate for both work and everyday purposes, the Bali Comfort Revolution Bra will keep you covered. The bra is wire free and instead uses a strong, but soft, under band to give your breasts the support they need. Not only does the band keep your breasts lifted, but it also keeps your sides and back cinched for a smooth silhouette under clothes.
This bra is very affordable and comes in a wide variety of colors, so you can even collect a few if you find they work for you. The cups of this bra have a medium amount of padding, nothing too heavy, but it will keep your nipples from showing through clothing.
3. Vanity Fair Women’s Beauty Back Full Figure Wirefree Bra 71380
The Vanity Fair Wirefree Bra is a reliable option for you if you have full-figured breasts and prefer the feeling of full support. This bra is made with 4-way stretch fabric so that it moves naturally with your body throughout the day, and the banded bottom keeps your breasts lifted and supported.
You will be comfortable in every way with this bra, as the straps are wide set and elastic, so they sit softly on your shoulders. The cups have slight padding, but just enough to prevent your nipples from showing through.
4. Wacoal Women’s Awareness Underwire Bra
If you do prefer to wear bras with an underwire, the Wacoal Awareness Bra will surprise you with its level of comfort. The wire is encased between the inner and outer cup for optimal softness. The leotard back of this bra makes it a great option for back support and also for sloping or narrow shoulders.
5. Just My Size Women’s Active Lifestyle Wirefree Bra
The Just My Size Wirefree Bra is the best option for you if you prefer the feeling of sports bras but want a slightly more structured bra for everyday wear. This bra is made to be flexible and easy to wear throughout the day. The CoolDri lining will keep you cool and dry, as well.
There’s no need to fret about finding the perfect bra once you hit and pass the age of 50. There are plenty of models and styles to suit you at all ages!