Best Straight Razor Kit for Beginners (5 Sharp Picks)
Table of Contents
Getting the closest possible shave can be a tough task to succeed at. With so many razors to choose from, you never know which one will actually give you the smooth results you’re looking for. Apart from standard razors, straight razors have started regaining their popularity. There’s no need for experience with them, just look for the best straight razor kit for beginners.
What is a straight razor?
Straight razors are one of the more old-fashioned versions of a razor that you can find on the market today. They are simply constructed and are compromised of just a long blade that folds into a protective cover. The best straight razor kits for beginners come with a good blade, replacement blades, and a few other accessories to make your shave more comfortable.
How do you use a straight razor?
If you’ve never used a straight razor before, expect a slight learning curve that might involve cutting yourself once or twice. The process is not difficult, it just needs some practice and finesse. The best straight razor for beginners will facilitate a fast acclimation process.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Make sure your face is completely clean and dry.
- Use pre-shave oil for less irritation, and cover face with a hot towel for one minute to open your pores.
- Use your kit’s shaving brush to spread shaving cream all over your target area.
- Hold your straight razor with a firm grip for full control.
- Position the razor at a thirty-degree angle towards your skin, going with the grain (the direction your hair grows).
- Be very careful about the angle and amount of pressure you apply because it’s easy to cut yourself.
- Use short and smooth strokes to shave. Rinse face when done.
- Re-lather and repeat process going against the grain for the smoothest outcome.
Once you get the hang of this process, you’ll be using your straight razor like a pro.
Benefits of using a straight razor
You may be wondering why you would want to switch to a straight razor. Maybe you don’t know, but there are actually real benefits to making the change. Take the following things into account:
- Closest Shave: once you learn how to use your straight razor properly, you will see that you get the closest shave possible, much better than even multi-blade alternatives.
- Easier Shaving: think about how much more control you’ll have over your straight razor than you would over a standard type. You can reach exactly the places you want for your cleanest shave.
- Value: the best straight razor for the money will give you a reasonable initial investment, and over time your savings will be evident. Compared to the amount you’d spend on replacement cartridges, your straight razor will be very affordable.
- Environmentally Friendly: you’ll only open the package once, and won’t need to dispose of nearly as many replacement blades.
- Patience Builder: you’ll probably find yourself more focused and relaxed when using your straight razor, and you’ll unknowingly be building your patience as you try to perfect the shaving art.
Now that you’ve considered the benefits, the choice to try a straight razor probably seems easier.
Best 5 Straight Razor Kits
Before you just go and buy a new straight razor, it’s a good idea to read beginner straight razor reviews. That way, you’ll have a better idea of which product will be best for you. Here are the top 5 picks:
1. Classic Samurai Men’s Shaving Set
Classic Samurai provides you with a surgical grade stainless steel blade that is sure to provide you with the closest shave you’ve ever experienced. Don’t worry about the blade losing its edge over time, in your shaving set, you get 100 replacement blades, all individually packaged for optimal safety and cleanliness.
The set comes with shaving cream and a shaving brush and cup to hold it, so you’ll be ready to shave right away.
2. The Shave Network Complete Straight Razor Set
The Shave Network is an ideal option for beginners, as you’ll be set up to shave out of the box with your straight razor, shave soap, brush, and helpful guide to how to use your new tool. You’ll pay an affordable price for a straight razor that you will be able to have sharpened whenever it goes dull. It could become your must-have tool before you know it.
3. A.P. Donovan Razor Set
If you have decided that you want to switch to straight razor shaving for sure, and are looking to invest a bit more money into your first kit, then the quality of A.P. Donovan’s razor set might be what you’re looking for.
With a very high-quality Japanese blade, you will find that each and every shave is as close as it gets. The kit even comes with a shaving brush, leather strop, and abrasive paste to help keep the razor in top form after every use.
4. Parker SR1 Straight Razor Set
With the Parker straight razor set, you get an attractive piece to have on your bathroom sink counter, as well as a great razor to shave with. The blade is made of quality stainless steel, as you will be able to tell just by looking at it. You get a good shave brush, with a place to store it, and 100 replacement blades.
You will be able to handle this straight razor when you’re first beginning and exploring the art, and it will continue to suit your needs as your skill with shaving improves.
5.Naked Armor STRAIGHT RAZOR SHAVING KIT
Another great choice if you’re looking to make a larger investment to get the best quality from the beginning, Naked Armor gives you a Japanese stainless-steel blade, all the necessary accessories, and a convenient and attractive box to store everything in, as well.
You even get the added bonus of a smaller, leather travel case so you can use your straight razor wherever you are.
Making the shift to straight razors could leave you experiencing closer and cleaner shaves day after day.