Anyone who has tried surfing knows that one of the most important things to is keeping comfortable. The easiest way to do that is by wearing a wetsuit to avoid being affected by rough waters and undesirable temperatures. Surfing is something you can do in many bodies of water, as long as there are good waves. Finding the best wetsuits for surfing cold water will keep you warm and allow you to enjoy the tides.
Choosing the Right Wetsuit for Cold Water
When it comes to choosing the best wetsuits for surfing cold water, there are a few critical factors you need to keep in mind. While you may be able to surf at a moment’s notice, preparation can make the difference in quality. Planning for these features ahead of time will leave you feeling as confident as possible as you set out to catch the waves.
Here are a few things you should be thinking about:
- Material: wetsuits are made from a variety of materials, but the best fabric to wear when surfing cold waters is neoprene. Neoprene offers a collection of benefits for cold water surfing including its durability, adhesiveness, weather and water resistance, cushioning, and lack of latex. If you want to remain warm and comfortable, neoprene is the fabric to choose.
- Full Body: when you’re surfing in cold waters, you’ll feel better if you’re wearing a wetsuit that covers your whole body. Look for suits with full-length leg coverage and long sleeves.
- Thickness: wetsuits are made with different levels of fabric thickness. The most common levels of thickness are 3mm, 5mm, and 7mm. For cold water surfing, your best bet is to choose wetsuits that have 5mm of thickness and above.
- Fit: wetsuits are designed to fit snugly on your body. That being said, make sure that the suit you choose allows you enough room and flexibility to move and breathe in the way you need for optimal surfing.
- Price: depending on your level of surfing skill, you may want to invest in more expensive wetsuits. If you’re looking for a beginner’s suit or a backup, there are plenty of options which are affordably priced. Establish your budget ahead of time and stick to searching in that range.
Check Out 5 of your Best Cold Water Wetsuit Options:
1. Seavenger 3mm Neoprene Wetsuit
If you’re someone who enjoys spending the whole day in and out of the water, then the Seavenger wetsuit could be the right choice for you. This wetsuit prevents chafing, provides extra flexibility in your ability to move while surfing, and is easy to put on and take off. This wetsuit is a reasonably priced investment in high-quality fabric and construction.
This wetsuit is rather thin, at just 3mm, so if you’re someone who is usually cold, you may need to search for a thicker option. When choosing your size in this wetsuit, keep in mind that it runs a bit larger than the described size. Click here to view Seavenger Neoprene Wetsuit on Amazon.
2. O’Neill Women’s Reactor 3/2mm Back Zip Full Wetsuit
Anyone who spends a lot of time looking at water and beach accessories knows that O’Neill is a reliable brand. This full wetsuit is a great option for cold water surfing as it is made from high-quality neoprene to keep you warm. The suit is flexible and comfortable for a lot of movement while surfing. When choosing your size, the best way to go about it is to choose the number size one up from your dress size. This will provide a snug but breathable fit.
The fit at the ankles and wrists of this suit is fairly tight in order to keep water out. The suit is very durable and even surfing in rough waters will not cause rips and tears in the fabric. Whether you’re looking to invest in the main surfing wetsuit or a backup for your collection, the O’Neill suit will keep you satisfied. Click here to read more about O’Neill Zip Full Wetsuite on Amazon.
3. Women’s Synergy Endorphin Fullsleeve Smoothskin Neoprene
The Synergy wetsuit is a durable option for surfers who are serious about their sport. This suit is reliable and has even been approved for use during the Ironman competition. The suit is made from neoprene and provides a full range of motion even in cold waters. The buoyancy is 5mm, which is practical for cold waters and will help you float higher, move faster, and save energy.
To make sure that you get the highest level of comfort for your surfing needs, it’s a good idea to choose a size larger than what you would normally wear. The suit will adjust to your body’s natural curves once you’re in the water.
4. XTERRA Women’s Volt Triathlon Wetsuit Full Suit 3/2mm
The XTERRA wetsuit is a solid option when it comes to ensuring that you have your full range of flexibility without feeling limited by the full body suit. This suit is made from durable neoprene which will keep you warm in cold waters while also helping you move faster and float higher. The XTERRA wetsuit comes with a 30-day money back guarantee and a 1-year warranty, so you can try it feeling safe and covered.
When you’re choosing your size, go with a size larger than usual, especially if you have a larger bust. This suit will keep you comfortable for a full day of surfing and swimming.
5. NeoSport Wetsuits Women’s Premium Neoprene 5mm Full Suit
This 5mm NeoSport wetsuit is made from durable neoprene and covers your whole body to make sure you stay warm while surfing in cold waters. You will be able to get in and out of this suit on your own with its heavy duty back zipper. The sleek design makes a great main wetsuit or a backup, and if you like the color purple, you will appreciate the lavender stripes on the sleeves of the suit.
Surfing in cold water is an activity that can be enjoyable, as long as you’re comfortable and warm. Choosing the right wetsuit for your cold water surfing needs will make all the difference in your overall experience.